Sunday, February 22, 2009

Habs vs. Sens and more Moey babble......

Finally a convincing win! I was as nervous as a kitten during this game, even when we were up 4-0. I kept thinking that somehow the Habs would let it slip away like they’ve done so many times in the past. I kept yelling “score another one”, I was uneasy until the final seconds of the third ticked down to zero and then let out a huge sigh of relief. They’ve slowly improved since the Caps game I hope they build on this one to get some momentum going. Bob Gainey is one smart cookie, his biggest trade so far was bad Kovy for good Kovy. Another bright spot is that Alex Tanguay is supposed to be back next week adding more firepower to the offense. What a shot Matt Schneider has, reminiscent of my boy Shelly, another great acquisition of Bob’s, our PP has risen from the dead.

Another topic I want to discuss is about misconceptions, speculations and rumors. Why is it human nature (and I’ll include myself in this, I can be a guilty as the next person) to automatically assume the worst about people? We tend to shoot first then ask questions later. The Kovy drama is a perfect example. The local news preview on the Kovy affair was “Alex Kovalev has played his last game in Montreal”. That’s not credible reporting, they’re stating some facts and mixing their own opinions with it. It really bugs me, even the Gazette writers can’t help but put some of their own insights into a story and all that does is put fuel on the fire, it reminds me of the old game of telephone. Remember when we were kids sitting in a circle, the first person would say a word or a phrase and by the time it got to the last person it came out completely different than what was actually said. All Bob Gainey announced was that Kovalev would be staying home for a few days of rest, that his play wasn’t helping the team. That took on a whole life of its own, between the media and the fans he he'd played his last game, he was being traded, one good one was there were one captain too many on the Habs and they’ve just killed one. The news should simply be facts, nothing more. What’s really puzzling is why we are so negative in our rush to judgments. Are we becoming Brits? Kick them when they’re down then feeling the guilt we have the need to build them back up. I’ve stated that Kovalev is moody, egotistical and high maintenance. I don’t know any of these things, I don’t know Kovy or anyone who does know him so I’m believing what I’ve read about him and making it fact. He obviously can’t be any of those things or he wouldn’t have come back, period. My apologies Alex and to the crow population which I fear after this week may be on the verge of extinction.

No comments: