Sunday, June 28, 2009

Call me crazy but......



I'm not a big fan of the Bell Center. To be honest I'd rather watch the games on TV. The players look bigger, the game looks a lot faster and I enjoy hearing a decent play by play. The last game I went to was against Boston at the beginning of February 2009. Trying to get four seats together was a nightmare, we grossly overpaid for the tickets and the worst part was we were so high up we couldn't see the new HD screen. It really sucked and to add insult to injury my friends' young son wanted a souvenir, he took a shine to the striped pajama jersey les boys were wearing that day. Lang went down with his ankle injury, Latendresse with his shoulder and the team started its' downward spiral from that game onwards.

Total cost for the afternoon out was $650.00 that included tickets, parking, cost of horrible striped jersey, drinks and popcorn. You can get much better deals and seats if you're looking for a pair or a single ticket. I'm quite content to sit on my sofa, watch the game on HD and drink a nice bottle of wine for a fraction of the cost. I support the team in other ways, I subscribe to their magazine, I bought a few of Kovalev's DVDs, one to keep and a couple to give as gifts. I don't own a jersey but I have a black t-shirt with a sequined CH logo on the front. I'm sure the jersey wearing purists will be absolutely mortified with that last statement, but hey as much as I like hockey I'm a girl first.

4 comments:

Dennis said...

Moey, I know what you mean by watching it on HD instead, but having said that, I'm hoping to make the trek back east this fall and take in a game at the Bell Centre. When I left the east, they were still playing at the Forum, and I haven't been back since. So I really want to go, even though it's pricy. I'll hold off on the striped sweater, though.

Kate said...

Dennis, I'm not trying to put anyone off going, the kicker was getting four tickets side by side. One or two can be had through the Bell Centre site for a reasonable price, usually in the red section. We had to go through a broker to get four. Major rip-off! I guess you haven't been in Montreal since the mid nineties. You'll enjoy yourself and don't forget to have a smoked meat!

Number31 said...

I sit in the rafters. The players are oddly magnified up there. It's weird. But it's also cool because occasionally Bob will walk by in the press box and if a loud man nearby notices he'll woop up a cheer. It's fun up there, and cheap, though you'll be close to the booing drunken idiots.

What sucks for us girls concerning jerseys: they bloody HUGE. However the Habs store is having a super special now, and I nabbed a ladies ASG East jersey the other day for 30$ and it was crap like the ladies regular replica jersey (ew). Sweet sweet deal. Unfortunately they were out of Kovy letterings for it... I may have to make something myself.

Kate said...

31,

On the odd occasion I get free tickets which is neat, but it's usally just a pair. The ASG jersey would be cool and that's a great price. I love Kovy too...I once made myself a Habs T-shirt, I'm dating myself by saying this but it was the year they won the 1977 cup. I was going to Fort Lauderdale with my school friends and thought I was so cool on the beach with it as a cover up. People were asking me who the heck are the Habs? Florida wasn't and still isn't a hockey hotspot :)