Tuesday, July 21, 2009

LA la land cont'd................


Harry Winston Beverley Hills


So picking up where I left off, we finally got off that cruise and did a little cruising of our own around Beverly Hills. We were enjoying our window shopping when suddenly I spotted Harry Winston's jewelery store, famous for outfitting "A" list celebrities on Oscar night. "C'mon Mr. Moey, let's check it out, they should have some gorgeous jewelery." So in we went, closed the door behind us and looked around. Not a single piece of jewelery in sight, the only items in the room were two desks. We looked at each other, puzzled. Suddenly a salesman appears from the back of the store. He says, "Can I help you?". Mr. Moey is silent, so I pipe up, "ah yes, I'd like to see some diamond rings please, solitaire, oval and pear shaped around two carats would be fine." Mr. Salesman is looking at me up and down in my jeans and flip flops and says "you do realize I have to go and get them out of the vault." "No problem, I said, take your time." Off he goes, Mr. Moey and I sit down at one of the desks, look at each other and say "holy crap." About five minutes later our salesman returns with three beautiful diamond rings in hand. My favorite was this one:


So I try it on, it was stunning, the colors bouncing off the lighting in the store were dazzling. As I was admiring it all of a sudden our salesman lets out a squeal, "oh...Mr. Moey that watch you're wearing is just fabulous, can I try it on?" Our salesman was (to be polite) a little light in his loafers. He took this sudden shine to Mr. Moey's watch and I suspect to Mr. Moey as well. Mr. Moey obliges while I'm still sitting mesmerized by the ring. The topic quickly changed to watches, Mr. Salesman insisted on retrieving a few timepieces from the vault for Mr. Moey's perusal. He comes back with three watches one of which he informed us Mel Gibson had purchased, it was now on back order for six months, but he could probably get his hands on one if we decided to buy it. No offense to Mel Gibson, but I wasn't impressed, the strap looked like it was made of rubber. Meanwhile, I had tried on several occasions to take the ring off, he would have none of it. "Keep it on," he insisted, "make it yours." The next thing we know he retreats to the vault again and brings out a matching necklace and bracelet in white and pale yellow diamonds. "Here Moey try these on, they will look gorgeous with your tan." So there I was, with a half million dollars of diamonds dripping off me in my jeans and flip flops. We ended up spending an hour there and at the end of it Mr. Salesman slipped Mr. Moey a card with the model number of the ring and the price. He told Mr. Moey if he came back on his own, they could negotiate a better deal. Price of ring $48,000.00 U.S., an hour in Harry Winston's; priceless. I'm still waiting for Mr. Moey to go back and negotiate.....

No comments: