Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Grand Cayman day 3 and a letter to Bill Gates.....

Dear Mr. Gates,

You don’t know me but we have a long history together. It goes all the way back to the year DOS. I’ve been there from the beginning, from the first IBM PC running its’ operating system on floppy disks to Windows 1.0 and onwards. I was in the middle of the epic battle between WordPerfect and Word, Lotus and Excel. I formed an intimate bond with some of your support staff in Seattle, they knew me by name. We’ve travelled a long technology road and along the way I discovered something somewhat interesting, we share the same birthday. Both of us born on October 28th, fellow Scorpios. I’m sure you understand why I’ve never sent you anything, after all what do you buy for the man who has everything? I know you do wonderful work with your Gates foundation; your dedication to fulfilling your mission statement “All lives have equal value” is admirable.

Well Bill, I’d love to be retired and doing something I love. But it always comes down to the same problem, money. Not loads of money but just enough to keep a roof over my head, pay my bills and pursue my retirement dream; an animal hospice. Animals that are sick and dying that nobody wants nor cares about. I share your philosophy, just as every child deserves an education and a chance to succeed I believe every animal has the right to feel what it’s like to be loved, even if it’s just for a day or an hour. I could go the volunteer and fundraising route, but as we both know, there is a high turnover and such an approach has a very mediocre success level. Hiring a small but paid staff is the way forward, with access to vet services as required.

I think it’s a worthy cause, and if you’ve been wondering what to send me for my birthday, I’ve just made it easier for you. The internet can be a small place and maybe one day this letter will make its way to you.

Warmest birthday wishes,

Moey

2 comments:

soperman said...

Happy Birthday Moey.

Kate said...

Thanks soperman!