Sunday, March 7, 2010

On location from sunny California...

Well I finally made it.  Just a quick tip for anyone traveling to the U.S., you really do need to be at the airport 2 hours before departure.  I only gave myself an hour and a half and ended up being plucked out of the security lineup to go through customs, it was the final boarding call for my flight.  No duty free, crap.

One thing I didn't miss about CA was the traffic, it's rush hour 24/7.  It rained all day on Saturday, which is unusual for this time of year, but it gave us an excuse to go shopping.  I have a thing about shoes, so the first stop was Nordstrom Rack and I didn't leave empty handed, a good start.  We dropped into a liquor store called "Bevmo", where they hold wine tasting on the weekend.  We sampled six different wines for $2.00 along with some cheese, crackers and olives.  I picked up a couple of bottles of California wine to take home, some great deals to be had, I chose a Hidden Cellars Petite Sirah at $16.00 and got the second bottle for 5 cents.  I kid you not. 

And check out this pic of a daily visitor to my sister's house, it ain't no sparrow!  He's been dropping by for a few years now.


Peter the peacock

We spent the balance of the afternoon sipping Sangria and watching the latest Disney movie Up!  Highly recommended, Moey gives it a big two thumbs up, it's suitable for all ages. My sister and I are both foodies, so last night we feasted on cream of shrimp bisque and for the main course, shrimp and smoked mushroom quesadillas.  Delicious.  Oh, and we managed to catch the Habs/Kings game on TV.  The boys played a pretty good game last night, I was waiting for them to blow their lead in the third, but they managed an insurance goal and got the two points.

It's lovely and sunny out as I write this, we're off to Laguna Beach for a late lunch this afternoon, and then on to Anaheim and my beloved Captain Koivu.  I also will be meeting up with a fellow commenter from the Four Habs Fans site, it's a small world eh?

Pics and recap of the game will be posted tomorrow morning, along with a restaurant review.

No comments: